It’s forecast to be a cold night. But for the time being, this is the effect of the moonrise, with a little bit of mist just to add a bit of mystery.
Dear Donald, I’d call you Mr. President, but you never bothered to act like one. With no respect where none is due, I must insist that you sit down and shut the hell up. We are done with you. I know you find it hard to believe that you lost the election. It must amaze […]If I had 5 minutes with Donald this is what I would say… #Resign — Margaret and Helen
Too good …. I just had to share.
An unexpected purchase has taken me on something of a hidden history lesson.
The pictured “Majestic” dinner service was acquired as part of a larger lot at a local auction. Consequently I didn’t know anything about it. However, whilst preparing to try and sell it on eBay, I did a little research and managed to find a few references to the manufacturer, The Empire Porcelain Company. It’s amazing what you can discover on the interweb.
It transpires that the Empire Porcelain Company had been around since 1895 with works in Hanley, Stoke-on-Trent, England. There were actually three factories operating side by side.
The Empire Porcelain Co Ltd was an important producer of domestic and ornamental earthenware and china for the middle of the market. In the late-1920s and 1930s the company produced interesting art deco-style tablewares and notable art deco ornamental wares decorated using the drip glaze technique. Chinz-decorated wares were produced in the 1940 and 1950s.From Pottery Histories
The pieces that I have are all dated in the 1950’s, as evidenced by the makers marks on the underside, so they are all around seventy years old.
The letter B apparently indicates that the dishes were produced under the Wartime Concentration Scheme
The Second World War proved a particularly difficult period for the British pottery industry because severe restrictions were placed on the production of decorated pottery. Production was concentrated in a reduced number of factories in order to save materials, energy and labour as these were needed elsewhere for the war.Pottery Histories
So there is no sentimental value to the dinner service, well not for me. But the history “behind the glaze” is interesting. Even down to the company being bought by a lawn mower manufacturer. Who would have thought they would have an interest in a pottery company.
Sadly, because the works were difficult to modernise, the Empire Porcelain Company was closed in 1967.
“There’s no art in this White House. There’s no literature, no poetry, no music. There are no pets in this White House. No loyal man’s best friend, no Socks the family cat. There are no images of the first family enjoying themselves together in a moment of relaxation: no Obamas on the beach in Hawaii moments, or the Bushes fishing in Kennebunkport, no Reagans on horseback, no Kennedys playing touch football on the Cape.
Where’d that country go? Where did all the fun, the joy and the expression of love and happiness go? We used to have a president who calmed and soothed a nation, instead of dividing it. We are now rudderless and joyless.
We have lost the cultural aspects of society that have always made America great. We have lost our mojo, our fun, our happiness, our cheering on of others— the shared experience of humanity that makes it all worth it. We need to reclaim that country once again.”
People are blaming the UK Government for not controlling the spread of Covid. This video indicates otherwise, shows who are responsible.
I find this whole spectacle sickening. What the hell are they thinking. Well quite obviously, they are not thinking. Alcohol fuelled stupidity.
And then they all go home to mix with friends and family
If you couldn’t see a reason for closing pubs, these idiots just provided all the ammunition the authorities needed.
What a bunch of selfish twats.
Only an idiot would contemplate putting this country through the chaos and confusion of Brexit again.
The Liberal Democrats will back Britain rejoining the European Union at an “appropriate future date” subject to public approval, the party has resolved.
A motion passed at the Lib Dems’ annual conference, with leadership backing, said the party should support a “longer-term objective” of EU membership in the future.
The EU is already trying to punish us for having the temerity to leave.
Can you imagine the gleeful wringing of hands that would precede any moves to rejoin ?
And, don’t forget the cost. Brexit has already cost billions. What will happen to any and all post Brexit trade agreements ? Especially with any countries that the EU doesn’t have a deal.
Congratulations Dan O’ Mahoney on your appointment as “Clandestine Channel Threat Commander”. Thanks for introducing yourself. You have a tough task ahead of you. Let us hope that Home Secretary, Priti Patel, gives you the support and backing needed for you to complete the task ahead.
So “Looby”, where exactly, in mainland Europe, are the bombs these people are fleeing ?
Whilst it may not be illegal to cross the English Channel, why would anyone cross hundreds of miles of safe French countryside, only to pay huge sums of money to risk their life, and the lives of their children, by crossing the English Channel in woefully overloaded craft?
If these people had a legitimate right to enter the UK, they would use the scheduled ferries and Eurostar rail systems, to safely cross the Channel, and at a fraction of the cost. The fact that they don’t take the open, legal, safe routes implies that they are anything but legitimate.
If, as you say, anyone can apply for asylum, why haven’t these people ?
Why are they sneaking in, trying to avoid all the legitimate checks and balances ?
What are they hiding ?
This continuing lemming-like flow across the Channel makes no sense.
What the hell ?
I have never read a more Bullshit Laden Manifesto in my life.
This Bullshit Lead Movement is seeking to take society apart. It seems to me that there sole aim is to remove any semblance of law and order and allow the anarchists full reign, see points 1 and 2. At the same time they are demanding specialist treatment for one part of society, those with black skins. To the exclusion of the rest of society.
- Defund the police / Invest in our communities!!! … How is defunding the police going to help anyone, of any colour? All that will do is reduce our already depleted police forces. Which, in turn, means our streets and communitues falling into the hands of criminals, the gangs and the druggies – the Bloody Lawless Morons. No one will feel safe, anywhere.
- End hostile environments and border controls that destroy lives …. I’m not sure what these “hostile environments” are, please explain. Do you mean the streets, estates and neighbourhoods that are pretty much no-go areas due to the aforementioned criminals ? Those are just the environments that a better funded police force could clean up ? As for border controls ! Do you mean the ones that are currently allowing an endless stream of illegals to enter our country ? The controls that we don’t have, the controls that allow an increasing burden on our social services who struggle to house and feed these illegals. Please better define your affordable solution to this problem ? We need Better Legislation to Manage our borders
- Transformation of our education system / decriminalisation of black students in the classroom …. Yes I agree the education system needs transforming. We need to get back to a more simpler system where the Three “R’s” are taught along with basic morals and respect for everyone. Not the gangland respect born out of fear. We need a system that teaches the history of this great country, warts and all, and how we got to where we are today. That includes slavery, however distasteful that may be, but also the more recent history of how we managed to survive the great wars. We don’t erase history or historical figures. Rather we add to and explain the context. Better Learning Materiel. As for “decriminalisation of black students in the classroom”, I have no idea what that even means. Since when did going to school become a criminal event unless its the carrying of knives into school. I don’t see that as being colour specific. I do seem to recall that not going to school had ramifications. Back in my day they called it truancy. Please use the English language to provide an explanation that even this 68 year old Englishman can understand. Broadbrush, Loose, Meaningless statement.
- Covid-19 / marginalised communities … So you want special treatment for black people ? Isn’t that racist ? This government, the worlds governments have been presented with a never before seen challenge. You can argue that they were ill prepared and that they bumbled their way through various forms of lockdown and controls. Some say, too little, too late. Some say the pandemic is a hoax, not real. But, whatever the truth, How dare you suggest that black communities were sidelined. How dare you turn the pandemic into a racist issue. That is you belittling and disrespecting those that have succumbed to the virus, and their friends and families. That is you disrespecting the NHS and the other health professionals. As for the specific effects of the virus on the black and other ethnic communities, the authorities only became aware as more statistical analysis was carried out. Those effects were not obvious in the early days.
- Recognition of global responsibilities / international solidarity with all oppressed people …. How does BLM activity align with the actions of such existing international bodies as the UN, WHO. Are you also seeking solidarity with the peoples of the China, North Korea and Hong Kong ? How about the Taiwanese people, aren’t they oppressed by mainland China ? They are definitely oppressed but I can’t quite see how they sit under the Black Lives Matter umbrella since they are not black. Seems to me you shout a lot about racism but you have a very narrow spectrum of focus, making you a racist organisation on your own right. Perhaps you should change your name to BLMM. Black Lives Matter More.
- We demand the funding of safe and sustainable futures …. What has that got to do with BLM ? We all want the funds for a safe and sustainable future. For us and our families. This is not a race issue. We need this for everyone. Or are you saying that BLMM ? Have you seen the homeless on the streets ? Have you seen the colour of their skins ? Many are military veterans. They would love that well funded sustainable future you would claim for those with black skins. Skin colour is irrelevant in this context. You cannot claim it for BLM
As I stated at the beginning of this post this manifesto is, in my opinion, bullshit. It written using a language so broadbrush as to be meaningless. It uses terminology without explanation.
What I can’t get to grips with is that our media and businesses have embraced this to the point that you can’t go about your daily lives with out BLM being thrust into your face, rammed down our throats.
All my life I have existed in a multi national society. At school, in Sussex, there were Poles, Tibetans, and Nigerians. Perhaps college was the exception where it was predominantly white British but from there on my work colleagues have been of every ethnic group with the latter years being mainly of English, North American, Chinese, Indian, and Mexican origins.
So I don’t need to have this BLM garbage thrust in my face at every turn.
I don’t judge anyone by their race, creed or colour of their skin. Rather I reflect what I see and experience. If you are a jerk I will treat you like a jerk regardless.
What the BLM movement instils in me is resentment. Resentment of the BLM movement, not of those they claim to represent.
Earlier this month I became aware that HMS Queen Elizabeth was due to sail from Portsmouth Harbour after a short provisioning visit.
The Queen Elizabeth class is a class of two aircraft carriers in the Royal Navy. The first, HMS Queen Elizabeth, was commissioned on 7 December 2017. The second, HMS Prince of Wales was commissioned on 10 December 2019.
My wife and I took a wander along Southsea sea front to take a look. As we had been in Australia for the previous seven months and had only just recently returned, this was our first opportunity to view this huge vessel.
We found a seat right by Southsea Castle, providing us with the ideal viewpoint to watch HMS Queen Elizabeth and her escorts head out into the Solent.
Here are just a few of the photos that I took on a lovely, sunny afternoon.