This movie short holds a very dear place in my memories and although a little dated it still makes me laugh.
Much of my time watching this is spent star spotting. With the likes of Eric Sykes, Jimmy Edwards, Tommy Cooper, Jimmy Tarbuck, James Hunt …. the list goes on
I hope you find it as humorous as I do
Imagine if ‘Charivarius’, the author of this piece, had to get down with the kids and rewrite this and acknowledge that bad means good, that sick means good and so on and so forth.
Read on, I dare you ….
Didn’t know the word until recently but, apparently, Winston Churchill loved paraprosdokians, figures of speech in which the latter part of a sentence or phrase is surprising or unexpected.
So, try these on for size …
- Where there’s a will, I want to be in it.
- The last thing I want to do is hurt you, but it’s still on my list.
- Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
- If I agreed with you, we’d both be wrong.
- War does not determine who is right – only who is left.
- Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
- They begin the evening news with ‘Good Evening,’ then proceed to tell you why it isn’t.
- To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism. To steal from many is research.
- I thought I wanted a career. Turns out, I just wanted pay checks.
- In filling out an application, where it says, ‘In case of emergency, notify:’ I put “DOCTOR.”
- I didn’t say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you.
- Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street…with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.
- Behind every successful man is his woman. Behind the fall of a successful man is usually another woman.
- A clear conscience is the sign of a fuzzy memory.
- You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
- Money can’t buy happiness, but it sure makes misery easier to live with.
- There’s a fine line between cuddling and…holding someone down so they can’t get away.
- I used to be indecisive. Now I’m not so sure.
- You’re never too old to learn something stupid.
- To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.
- Nostalgia isn’t what it used to be.
- Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.
- Going to church doesn’t make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.
- I’m supposed to respect my elders, but now it’s getting harder and harder for me to find one.
I was just listening to a Tidal playlist, and heard the song Oval Room, being performed by John Craigie. My immediate thought was that this was aimed a Donald Trump.
After a little research I discovered that the song was written over 30 years ago and released as the B-side of a single in 1984. The original inspiration for the song was Ronald Reagan.
The lyrics of this song can be applied, in some ways, to almost any of the US presidents who have been in office since that time.
However, I believe this song resonates most closely with recently departed Donald Trump.
I tried to find this song on YouTube. However, the examples that I found, featuring Blaze Foley are pretty poor sound quality.